A cut is usually a laceration or incision into the skin. Cuts and scrapes are minor but must be handled with proper care so as to prevent infection or complications. Minor cuts and scrapes usually stop bleeding on their own.
- Rinse the wound with clean water
- Gently remove dirt/debris in the wound
- Apply gentle pressure on the wound using a clean cloth or bandage and hold for 10 minutes
- Elevate the injured area above the heart
- Do NOT remove the cloth to check if the bleeding has stopped as it may dislodge the clot being formed and the bleeding will resume
- Dress or bandage the wound