Skip to main content

Health Information

# 84

Health Tips

To relieve pain from a toothache, place a clove of garlic with a little rock salt on the affected tooth.

Show me another tip
Home >> Health Information >> First Aid >> Electric Shock

Electric Shock

Back to First Aid

Electric ShockAn electric shock occurs when a person comes into contact with an electrical energy source. The electric energy passes through the body causing a shock. The human body is a good conductor of electricity, and contact with a live power source can cause significant burns, or may interfere with the heart's electrical system.


  • Experience of a jolt, throwing the casualty on the ground
  • Muscle contraction and pain
  • Burn marks at the entry and exit points of electric current
  • Evidence of the electric wire or electrical device near the casualty


  • Turn off the main power supply
  • Disconnect the electrical device
  • Do NOT touch the casualty with your bare hands, or the electric current will pass through you as well
  • Stand on a non-conducting surface - wood, rubber, telephone directory
  • Use a non-conductive wooden rod to remove the wire or disconnect the device
  • Prevent shock by making the casualty lie down and, if possible, position the head slightly lower than the trunk, with the legs elevated
  • Check for breathing
  • If there is a burn, remove the clothing from the burned area (unless stuck to the skin) and rinse it in cool, running water. Cover the burn with a dressing.
  • Do NOT apply ice or any other ointment or cotton dressing to the burn
  • Call for medical help

Important: Do NOT go near high-voltage wires until the power is turned off. Stay at least 20 feet away - farther if wires are jumping and sparking.

Ask a Doctor

Ask A Doctor

Health problems? Medical Queries? Send us your questions.


Make an Appointment
Healthy Recipes
Gift a Health Plan


Re: Syringe
1653 days ago

1740 days ago

Usefull Health Services