The Detox Dilemma
Why should anyone detoxify their body when there's a natural system that flushes out the toxins for us? Well, that's because everyday we're exposed to toxins through the environment and food ingredients which is more than our body can take to eliminate.
So, when our system cannot handle the increasing toxin levels it weakens and becomes sluggish. And that's when we need to support our body in the natural process of detoxification with a "master cleanse".
How Does Detoxification Work?
Detoxification cleanses the blood by removing impurities from the blood in the liver. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymph and skin. However, when this system is compromised, impurities aren't properly filtered and every cell in the body takes a beating.
What are the signals that you need to detoxify
General feeling of lethargy and unwellness, an unusual congestion in the stomach - are some of the tell tale signs that you need to flush your system. You can start off on a simple, no-fuss detox program to help re-vitalise your body.
How does a detox diet help
- It cleanses your body and boosts energy levels
- Speeds up the elimination of toxins
- Improves digestion and metabolism rate
Where do you begin?
You can chart out your own detox program right at home. The bottom line is, of course, to eat the right food and avoid the wrong ones
- Drinking plenty of water is the obvious way to flush out your system. Substitute colas and other unnatural drinks with water and you will find your body cleansing itself in no time.
- Drink 100% fruit juices. Citrus fruits like oranges, limes, lemons, and grapefruits help a great deal in cleansing as they supply the body's immune system the enzymes that drive away the toxins.
- Eat plenty of natural fruits and vegetables. They help cleanse your body naturally and are low in calories
- Take a break from junk food, instead stack up on healthy ones.
- Cut out alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, refined sugars and saturated fats, all of which act as toxins in the body and are obstacles to your healing process.
- Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system.
- Dry-brush your skin. It removes dead skin and unlocks pores through which toxins are removed.
- Stretch. It improves blood circulation and releases toxins from your body.